How does one disable application programs for a specific group of users via Active Directory? The following directions assume you're running a Windows 2000 Server.
- Log into your server. Click on Start, Programs, Administrative Tools, Active Directory Users and Computers.
- Navigate to the group for which you want to edit the policy. Right-click on the group's folder/directory icon, and select Properties. Click on the Group Policy tab.
- If you wish to edit a current policy, click on the policy's name under Group Policy Object Links and then click on the Edit button. If you want to create a new set of policies, click on the New button, name your new Group Policy Object, and then click on Edit. A new Group Policy window will appear on the screen.
- Under User Configuration, expand Administrative Templates and then click on System (you don't need to expand it; just click on the name). Double-click on "Don't run specified Windows applications." (Note that there is also a "Run only allowed Windows applications" policy. If you want to specify only a few specific programs that the user group can run, you may wish to use this instead.)
- Make sure Enabled is selected. Click on the Show... button. Add the file name of any program you want to block (for example, telnet.exe). Apply all changes and exit the program.